Kerrisdale Lumber History
Back in 1921, when Kerrisdale Lumber started in business, horse and wagon brought them much of their merchandise. Other goods came by rail car delivered to one of three sidings on the West Boulevard. In those days you could buy a thousand board measure for the costly price of $10.00. Sidewalks were made of wood and cleared of snow by a one-horse plough. Back then, Bert didn't limit himself to just Kerrisdale, but went out and sought business where ever he could. As a matter of fact, he sold the paving blocks to the City of Vancouver used to pave the streets in downtown Vancouver. In 1948, Tremayne Perry joined the Company. Bert's son started out as a yard man piling lumber and driving truck, eventually becoming Manager.
In 1964 Bert retired, leaving the running of the store to Tremayne. In the late 1960's, as competition from larger stores and chain yards became greater, it became evident to Tremayne and two of his friends, also building supply store owners, the need for a joint advertising effort. This is how IRLY BIRD was founded.
From that small beginning there are now approximately 60 building supply stores supporting the IRLY BIRD name throughout all of British Columbia. A third generation joined the Kerrisdale Lumber team in 1974, and following in his fathers footsteps became President, and is presently involved with day-to-day operations.
His name is Mark Perry
Tremayne Perry, Burt Perry, Mark Perry